Summer fashions are immersed in COLOR! Everywhere you look there are mouth-watering shades of cotton candy pinks, frosty sorbet lavenders, creamsicle oranges and many more. They evoke a carefree, sweet atmosphere in the midst of an anxious world.
To boost their “color power” this season’s makeup should be just as luscious. Come with me and take a stroll along Rainbow Lane. We will start with what products are available and how they work best. Then we will move on and take a moment looking at techniques and tips for applying these delicious products. Finally, we will complete our stroll with a spiritual application of color. Here we go!
It’s all about sheer, glossy and natural color…the more transparent the color, the more summery the look. Try…
- stains, bronzers or tinted moisturizers
- sheer liquid or gel stick blushers
- light, sheer color eye shadows
- ultra slick lip-glosses and stains
Limit YOUR rainbow by choosing just a couple of colors.
- purples, pinks and reds are universally flattering
- oranges and yellows look best on olive complexions
- pastels are the best choice on light skin – except pastel blue on blondes
- try matching the flecks of color in the iris of your eyes for eye shadow shades
With any given outfit highlight only one feature
- gorgeous eyes
- healthy glowing cheeks
- plump shapely lips
- with bright colored clothing choose a subtler shade of the same color…or try a contrasting bright shade
- with pastel outfits choose makeup with more vibrant color
- use the colors in a print to help determine makeup shades; choose only one or two
Five Great Tips
- For an instant “teeth whitener” apply a blue-based pink lip-gloss – the bluish tint will reflect onto your teeth making them look whiter.
- To help soften and diminish facial lines stay with lighter, less vivid shades
- To intensify eye shape and add impact to small eyes, try a dark colored powder liner along the upper lash line
- To make the whites of your eyes appear whiter and brighter use navy eyeliner
- Keep your makeup fresh and safe with these “expiration date” facts
3 months – Mascara
6 months – Foundation, lipstick, liquid blush and liquid eye shadow
3 years – Powder blush and powder eye shadows
Daytime application of your makeup should be with a very light hand. Remember we are going for summery, sheer and natural. Nighttime and formal occasion application can be a little heavier. However, remember to highlight only one feature at a time.
Picture, if you would, the all colors in a rainbow as I conclude with these thoughts. One of the wonderful attributes of God is goodness. Did you know that generosity is a synonym for goodness? Think of it! God could have given us simply red, blue and yellow. Instead we have burgundy to salmon, periwinkle to teal, banana to chartreuse…and on it goes! Breathe in all the wonderful colors we are so generously blessed with. Now go have some fun and be a little daring…enjoy!